Sunday, March 9, 2008

Found Cat Finds a Home

Found Cat showed up on our doorstep during a bitter cold spell in early January 2008. For the next two months Found Cat was never out of earshot of our back porch. Any time he heard the door open, he came flying across the yard, bounded up the porch steps, and practically flung himself at our ankles in unadulterated adoration. Never shy, Found Cat meowed loudly, purred enthusiastically, and trotted after us with undying devotion as we took out the trash, pulled weeds in the garden, and went about our daily business. When it inevitably became time for us humans to return to the interior of our abode, Found Cat would sit dutifully on the door mat and keep an eye on us through the windows of the French doors. He slept in a little "hut" that I constructed out of a modified Rubbermaid closet storage trunk lined with hay.

Found Cat turned out to be one of the most delightful, charming creatures I've ever encountered. I had no idea how old he was, where he came from, or how he discovered us (well, I do have a pretty good hunch about that one - probably had something to do with the cat food bowls on the back porch and the bevy of other critters that gathered there daily to chow). It was immediately apparent that Found Cat had started his life in close contact with humans. Unlike our regular colony of feral cats, Found Cat was outgoing, friendly, and not the slightest bit reserved about demanding affection from people. He also tried repeatedly to befriend his feral cohorts, but had no luck save with Penelope.

So, Lukas and I put up flyers (hence, the moniker "Found Cat") around the neighborhood, posted a notice on a community web group, and asked neighbors, area business owners, and even complete strangers on the street if they knew whose cat this was. We even took him to the Atlanta Humane Society to get scanned for a microchip. No luck. I contacted local and regional rescue organizations and shelters about adoption options, but every place was full. I exhausted my list of friends, relatives, and general acquaintances (and probably annoyed some of them with rather persistent badgering). How could we find no home for this amazing cat?!

Then, as a last resort I contacted a friend whose dad is a vet. I thought maybe he would have some insight into creative options we hadn't thought of. Or, at the very least, could post Found Cat's picture in his waiting room. Turns out, we didn't even have to go that far. The friend's brother and sister-in-law had lost their 17-year-old cat last year and were finally ready to adopt a new one. Could I e-mail her a picture of Found Cat that she could show to her brother's family and give them a little background about him?

I just about jumped for joy when less than an hour later I got this response: "We definitely want the cat! Going to Disney for vacation next week. Can we get him as soon as we come back???" Hooray!

Before leaving for vacation, the whole family (Mom, Dad, and two kids) came over to meet Found Cat and make sure he'd be a good fit. He was a little shy at first - probably because he'd never seen so many people on our - I mean his - back porch before, but he warmed up after a bit. He even rolled over and let the kids rub his belly. They were hooked.

The following weekend, fresh from Disney World, they all came over to collect Found Cat and take him home with them. His new world will include a comfortable home in north Atlanta, a big fenced-in yard, two high-energy kids, and Molly the poodle. It was a little sad saying good-bye, and every now and then I still expect to see him on the door mat when I glance out the back door. But I'm so happy that he will be able to live inside when it's cold and rainy, will have a big yard to explore when it's sunny and warm, and, most importantly, will have plenty of people around all the time to love and adore him.

Happy trails, Found Cat!

No comments: